March 10 & 11, 2017
Teams of law students from across the country will demonstrate their advocacy skills as they present legal arguments at the 11th annual National Moot Court Competition in Child Welfare and Adoption Law Friday March 10, 2017 at the Ohio Statehouse and Saturday, March 11, 2017, at the Supreme Court of Ohio Judicial Center.
December 12, 2016: Problem Release Date
February 6, 2017: Brief Due to NCALP (PDF file electronically submitted to FYLaw & 1 hard copy postmarked by)
February 10, 2017: Briefs sent to Judges
February 24, 2017: Briefs back from Judges
Tentative Competition Schedule:
Friday March 10th
|8:00 am - 9:30 am
|9:00 am - 10:00 am
|10:00 am||Team Meeting|
|10:30 am – 12:00 pm||Round 1|
|12:00 pm – 1:00 pm||Lunch|
|1:15 pm – 2:45 pm||Round 2|
|3:30 pm – 5:00 pm||Round 3|
|5:00 pm – 6:30 pm||Reception and Awards|
Saturday March 11th →16 teams advance
|9:00 am - 10:30 am
|11:00 am - 12:30 pm
|1:30 pm – 3:00 pm||Semifinals|
|3:15 pm – 5:00 pm||Finals|
2016 Final Round Judges were representatives from the following partners:
- The ABA Center on Children and the Law
- The American Academy of Adoption Attorneys
- The Family & Youth Law Center
- The National Association of Counsel for Children
- The National Council of Juvenile & Family Court Judges
2015 HOTEL INFORMATION
We have reserved a block of rooms at the Drury Inn & Suites Columbus Convention Center. The group rate is $109/night for a non-smoking room with two queen beds. The Drury is located approximately one mile north of the competition locations, and includes breakfast and evening snacks/beverages. Please make your reservations by February 20, 2015 to receive the discounted rate. Reservations can be made online at www.druryhotels.com - group number 2256288.
Drury Inn & Suites Columbus Convention Center
88 East Nationwide
Although we do not have a discounted rate at the following hotels, they are located within walking distance to Ohio Statehouse and Supreme Court:
DoubleTree Guest Suites-Columbus
50 S. Front St.
614-228-4600 ext. 195
Residence Inn by Marriott Columbus Downtown
36 E. Gay St.
Hyatt Capitol Square
75 E. State St.
The Columbus, A Renaissance Hotel
50 N. Third St.
Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capitol Square
175 E. Town St.
Courtyard by Marriott Columbus-Downtown
35 W. Spring St.
- “The competition is run so smoothly, it is flawless every year. I love the locations of where the competition is held.” – participant
- “There were quite a few very talented teams, and the level of competition, on average, was very good. As for the administration of the tournament, I cannot praise you enough. We host a national tournament at our school every year, and I know how much work goes into it. Everything was run extremely professionally. We were all extremely impressed with how well the tournament was administered.” – participant
- “It was a wonderful experience throughout. I enjoyed researching and writing the topic. The competition was also exceptionally well organized throughout. Staff members were always very responsive, knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with. The locations were really great. Arguing at the statehouse and state supreme court were experiences I will remember forever.” - participant
- “Keep up the great work. This competition just gets better every year!” – faculty advisor/coach
- “The superb presentations are a reflection of the many, many hours of work that each student put into their presentation. I also appreciate the opportunity to be on the ‘other side’ of the bench which I believe is far more challenging to an attorney than a judge or magistrate who would be hearing just another case, albeit a far better prepared one. I thoroughly enjoyed being part of this event for the third time!” – attorney/judge
- “The materials were outstanding. The problem was great and instructions to judges could not [have been] better.” – attorney/judge